Kathy’s House is located at 9101 W. Doyne Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53226, footsteps from the Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin Campus.
The House includes a fully equipped kitchen, communal dining room, living room, computer center, library, mediation room, fitness center, free Wi-Fi, free laundry facilities, and off-street parking. Guests need to provide their own transportation while staying at the House.
Guests staying at the House must be able to meet the following mobility and care expectations
- do their personal laundry as needed
- plan and prepare meals and clean up dishes
Guest rooms feature a queen bed and a twin bed with a private bathroom, small refrigerator, and a small television. Sheets, towels, and cleaning supplies are provided.
We allow one room per family. A maximum of 2 people (1 patient and 1 caregiver) are allowed per room. All guests must be at least 18 years old.
No. Kathy’s House supplies linens and towels for guests to use. Guests are asked to clean their own rooms and do their own laundry. Cleaning supplies are provided for the guests to use, as is a completely free laundry facility including detergent, etc. House linens and towels are cleaned by an outside laundry service.
Yes, our House is ADA-compliant with elevator access between floors and a limited number of fully ADA-accessible guest rooms.
We supply everything you will need to make Kathy’s House your “home away from home” including linens, towels, simple toiletries, and cleaning and laundry supplies.
Each guest is provided a refrigerator and dry food storage space in the shared kitchen area. Pots, pans, and utensils are provided for food preparation. Guests need to provide their own food. Complimentary coffee is available in the dining room along with a limited supply of donated food.
Kathy’s House has two types of guest rooms – regular rooms and suites. The regular room is a standard hotel-sized room with two beds, most having a queen and twin bed, recliner, TV and a private bathroom. These rooms are reserved for patients and their caregivers who are not dealing with immunocompromised systems, or for caregivers staying by themselves (for any length of time).
Our suites feature a bedroom with a queen and twin bed, separate living area with a recliner as well as a twin-sized pull-out couch, a kitchenette, and a private bathroom. These rooms are reserved for patients with immunocompromised systems, and their caregivers.
Both types of rooms can be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis after the guest referral has been submitted to and approved by Kathy’s House.
The rate for the regular rooms is $50/night and the rate for the suites is $60/night. Kathy’s House is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. There is no tax on these rates and all amenities offered at Kathy’s House – wi-fi, laundry, library, kitchen, family room, fitness center, and hospital shuttle transport – are complimentary.
Reduced rates are available for qualifying families. Kathy’s House is committed to providing affordable lodging to families facing a medical crisis. No family is turned away due to an inability to pay.
As long as active medical treatment by an accredited medical facility in the Milwaukee area is being provided to the patient, guests may stay as long as needed.
Pets are not allowed. You must notify staff at the time of scheduling if you wish to bring a service animal.
First time referrals may be required to check in between the hours of 10:00 am – 4:30 pm weekdays.
We value the safety of our guests, our volunteers, and our staff at Kathy’s House. Because of our commitment to safeguarding people and property, a lawful background check will be run on each potential guest of Kathy’s House. The information obtained is used exclusively by staff to determine whether to grant a guest(s) access to our facility. This information is not shared outside of our organization.
Individuals who have been convicted of any of the following will be denied access to Kathy’s House as follows:
Generally, Kathy’s House reserves the right to refuse admittance to anyone convicted of any crime which Kathy’s House believes, in its sole discretion, places the health or safety of our guests at risk. The below list is not exhaustive and is intended only to identify crimes by their nature as criminal conduct is designated or defined differently in varying jurisdictions.
- Felony Assault/Battery – physical harm to another person
- Domestic Violence
- Crimes Against Children – including without limitation, the physical abuse, physical neglect, emotional maltreatment, or sexual abuse of a child
- Sexual Predator Crime or Registered Sex Offender –including without limitation, rape, molestation, sexual abuse/battery, voyeurism, stalking, or public indecency
- Manslaughter, Murder, Kidnapping – abduction, false imprisonment, capture or seize
- Arson – pyromania, incendiarism, or torching
- Human Trafficking, Sex Trafficking or Soliciting Prostitution
DENIAL FOR FIVE YEARS FROM DATE OF CONVICTION:
- Fraud – embezzlement, deceit, deception
- Vandalism – damage to public or private property
- Drug-Related Crimes
- Misdemeanor Battery
- Felony Theft – including without limitation, robbery, larceny, carjacking, and burglary
Kathy’s House reserves the right to consider an arrest for which charges are pending or unresolved as grounds for denial of temporary residency or for entrance on to the property.
To reduce the possibility of COVID-19 exposure in the House, no visitors are allowed except for medical personnel.
Kathy’s House is for adult patients and/or their caregiver. To be eligible for a Kathy’s House stay, patients must receive regularly scheduled treatment(s) and care at an accredited Milwaukee area healthcare facility. Guests must have a permanent residence. The patient or caregiver must live at least 50 miles from Milwaukee. Because we value the safety of our guests and their property, we do perform a background check on each potential guest.
Based on availability, day guests may stop by the House and use the common areas between the hours of 8 am – 4:30 pm Monday – Friday. There is also a shower available. Day respite guests must also have a referral from a healthcare professional.
Kathy’s House accepts guests only by referral from a healthcare professional that 1) works at an accredited Milwaukee area hospital or healthcare facility and 2) is familiar with the patient.
No. During the COVID 19 pandemic no one under the age of 18 is allowed in the House.
There is no smoking inside the House or on the grounds at any time.
Yes, since we limit our families to one room you may wish to rotate family members staying with you. Please notify a staff member of a change in guests so we may keep track of who is in the House.
Although there is no way to completely eliminate the risk of COVID-19 exposure in the House, the staff and Board have implemented several new protocols and policies to minimize risk, including:
- Only staff and guests may enter the building – no visitors (except medical personnel), no on-site meetings, no tours, and no volunteers. All deliveries must be met outside.
- Housekeeping and/or guest services staff will provide daily cleaning of all common areas, with additional attention to high-touch surfaces.
- The temperature of all staff and non-patient guests are taken once a day. They are also asked if they have any new symptoms.
- The use of masks is mandated for all guests and staff when in the House common areas. Exclusions are guest’s room, office, and when eating in the dining area. Cloth or disposable masks are provided to you if you do not have your own.
- Only half of all guest rooms will be occupied at any one time. Upon check-out each room is left vacant for 5 days during which time it will be thoroughly cleaned by staff.
These questions and answers have been updated to reflect new protocols put in place in response to the current COVID-19 outbreak.