Give Your Time to Help Create Community
We invite you to find a place at Kathy’s House. Our volunteers are teens, adults, retirees, former guests, and community members. Whether you volunteer regularly or just once, your support is greatly appreciated.
Volunteering at Kathy’s House can be both memorable and rewarding. Because many of our volunteers serve guests directly, they have a unique opportunity to connect with guests. Often, a volunteer is the first voice guests hear on the phone and the first face greeting them at the door.
We have an opportunity for every skill set and schedule. The first step is completing an application.
View available opportunities, sign up for shifts, and make schedule changes.
Examples of Individual Opportunities
- Welcome Desk: Answering phones, assisting guests, work with staff on projects.
- Cooking a Meal: Providing dinner, bag lunches, or brunch. We’ll give you a handout with more details.*
- Baking: Bread, cookies, bars. Can be done at Kathy’s House or dropped off.*
- Cleaning: Guest rooms, common areas, tidy up library.
- Gardening: Watering, weeding, planting pots, tending vegetable garden.
- Arts & Crafts: Create and provide materials for the art table.
- Events: Gala, Golf, Oktoberfest.
- Linen Organization: Sort and fold clean laundry.
- Decorations: Create decorations for guest doors, dining room tables, etc.
- Inspirational Quotes: Research inspiring quotes, write them up and place on the dining room tables.
- Note writing: Write inspirational notes to guests. Staff will deliver the notes to guests.
Examples of Group Opportunities
- Preparing Meals for Guests at Kathy’s House*
- Preparing “Meals to Go”*
- Option to either prepare a meal at Kathy’s House or bring in food
- Learn more about this opportunity
- Preparing “Snacks to Go”
- Baking: Breads, cookies, bars, and/or healthy snacks for our guests.*
- Grab ‘n Go Breakfast Greeters: 4-6 people needed. Welcome our guests in the morning with a light breakfast before they head off to the hospital to be with their family member or loved one.
- Suggested menu: bagels/muffins/pastries, fruit, orange juice and coffee.
- You can drop off some donated items the day before or on your way to work.
- Donation Drive: Make it a company-wide or office activity.*
- Cleaning & Organizing: 4-6 people to help give the “home” a little extra TLC.
- Volunteers must be able to perform manual cleaning and possess the ability lift 15-20 pounds.
- Welcome Bags: The welcome bag might include such things a small hygiene items like hand sanitizer, travel tissues, puzzle books, memo pad, inspirational journal, bottled water, snacks, note of encouragement.*
- This volunteer opportunity can also be done offsite.
- Notes of encouragement: Any number of volunteers write encouraging notes for our guests.
- Staff will deliver notes to guests.*
- Door decorations: Any number of volunteers create decorations for guest doors. Great project for classrooms or scout projects.*
- Placemats for Dining Room: Any number of volunteers create placemats to help decorate the dining room. Great project for classrooms or scout projects.*
*This opportunity does not require attendance at a Volunteer Training Session.