National Model of Care
What does it mean to be the National Model?
Kathy’s House will be a National Model of Care by providing an exemplary guest experience that is:
- Rooted in our vision and values
- Incorporates the eight dimensions of wellness as defined by the US Department of Health and Human Services
To be a replicable National Model in the field of Hospital Guest Housing by providing a state-of-the-art facility and delivering guest services based on best practices to improve patient care and the healthcare delivery model.
Eight Dimensions of Wellness at Kathy’s House
- A comfortable, affordable, homelike setting that creates a reassuring community where people experiencing stressful medical situations can find respite and emotional support.
- Compassionate, caring, experienced staff; pet therapy program
- Non-denominational, multi-cultural spiritual support care program; meditation room.
- Collaboration with medical professionals to advance best practices in hospital guest housing and measure the impact on patient and caregiver wellness. Results continually improve the guest experience. Participation in the national Healthcare Hospitality Network’s repository of research on efficacy of hospital guest houses.
- Heath resource center with access to computers, where guests can find disease-specific medical and wellness information.
- Close proximity to advanced medical care, including clinical trials at Froedtert & the Medical College of Wisconsin hospitals and clinics; onsite basic clinical services (such as blood draws) for patients staying at the House. Separate guest wing with two-room kitchenette suites for patients with compromised immune systems and for long-term stays.
- Fitness center, yoga and walking path to promote wellness and sense of well-being.
- Nature-focused building design emphasizing natural light; infection control air handling system, hygienic, easy-to-clean flooring, furniture and fixtures along with professional-grade cleaning products and practices to promote a healthy environment.
- Affordable home-away-from-home to help alleviate the financial burden often associated with medical crises, reducing stress on the patient and family members. No one is turned away because of inability to pay. Services include home-cooked meals, fully equipped kitchen, access to food staples, laundry facilities, complimentary shuttle service to hospitals, clinics, appointments, pharmacies, grocery stores.
- Library and business center, along with complimentary Wi-Fi enable short and long-term guests to stay connected to their family, friends, and work.
- A mutually supportive community offering social interaction and privacy. Common living areas, shared kitchen, private bedrooms create “a place to feel normal” during stressful times.
Download a printable version of the National Model of Care