Support a Guest
Research shows that a medical emergency (especially a cancer diagnosis) can lead to financial hardship. The actual cost for staying at Kathy’s House is $90 per room, per night. The average donation we collect is $30. Below are other ways you, or your group, can help pay for the cost of lodging for patients and families who cannot afford the cost of lodging in order to access medical care.
Ways to Support A Guest
- donate in honor of a guest, and can make an anonymous donation in your name.
- Check with your employer/HR about company matching gifts. Or someone you know may work for a company with a matching gifts program. Your nightly donation can be matched.
- Start a GoFundMe page:
- Share your GoFundMe campaign on your Facebook page, and let guest services know.
- Start a Facebook post with a campaign goal and select Kathy’s House as your chosen charity. Let guest services staff know you are using Facebook to support guests. Start a campaign.
- Hospital Shuttle Program: Each day, we transport 4-10 guests to and from their appointments at Milwaukee area hospitals, driving an average of 150-200 miles a week in our shuttle van. We don’t place a limit on how far we travel, sometimes up to 35 miles one way. Our van is driven by volunteers and paid staff. In 2019 our shuttle program cost $11,800 including insurance, gas & maintenance, and staff time.
A contribution of any amount will help transport families to medical appointments at no cost to them.
- Host a paper or other supply drive. View our Wishlist to learn what supplies are needed for cleanliness and standards of care. (The word “Wishlist” clicks to Wishlist page or back to Donate page.)
- Cook meals at the House, Meals To Go, or Grab & Go Snack Packs. Volunteers provide meals 2-3 times per week. Unique ways to offer a warm Wisconsin welcome is to host a meal around a sports game, serving comfort food in winter, or a cookout in summer. Learn more about this way to volunteer and other ways to donate your time.
- Overall, you can spend time talking with our guests, hearing their stories, sharing a meal. Letting them know they’re not alone and providing overall hospitality.
- Anyone can help. Hometown groups can help fundraise for a specific guest, or families who cannot afford the cost of their lodging through our Family Program for Patients and Caregivers. Groups can include churches/synagogues/other religious groups, youth groups, small community groups, Rotary, Kiwanis, or Lions/Lioness Clubs, book clubs, and many other types of groups.
- Imagine what you do when you host someone overnight in your home. At any given time we have 19 families staying overnight in our Home. Then contact us when you have an idea for a way to someone to receive your warm Wisconsin welcome!
Family Program for Patients and Caregivers
Additional Ways to Support Kathy’s House
Patients and Families
You can buy or sell items and direct a portion of the sale to Kathy’s House (select Kathy’s House as your favorite). For more information, visit https://charity.ebay.com/.
Start a Facebook post with a campaign goal and select Kathy’s House as your chosen charity: https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers. Like us on Facebook: “Kathy’s House.”
You can contribute simply by shopping at Amazon. Go to smile.amazon.com and choose Kathy’s House as your charitable organization. For each purchase made, Amazon will donate .5% to Kathy’s House.
You can also contribute to Kathy’s House by browsing the Internet. Just visit www.GoodSearch.com and make sure to choose “Kathy’s House of Milwaukee” as the cause you would like to help.
If you are a member of Thrivent Financial, you can direct your Thrivent “Choice Dollars” to Kathy’s House. Visit Thrivent.com or call 800-847-4836 and when prompted, select “Thrivent Choice.”
By visiting www.gofundme.com you can help us raise money by donating to events related to Kathy’s House or by starting a campaign of your own.
For any questions or for more information